Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thrifty Thursday: Planting seeds!

It's no secret, I l.o.v.e. flowers. Every spring I plant my own little flower garden and spend the whole summer trying to keep them alive (disclaimer: I am great at keeping flowers alive, it's the 3 year old and the 1 year old and the welsh corgi that have a hard time with it). I've never had much luck with seeds but this year, I am determined to have luck with seeds.

So, being the cheapskate that I am, last week I bought a .20cent pack of marigold seeds. I've been waiting all week for the boys in the house to finish eating the eggs in the fridge so I could use the egg carton to plant the seeds and today is the day people. Today is the day. (so excited!)

I had to do some research to make sure I was going about this right, after all, I've never done it right before..... Some useful information:
  1. Cover the container with plastic until the seeds germinate
  2. Water from the bottom, less chance of over-watering. Let the seeds take what they need.
  3. Pay attention to the package, it will tell you how deep to plant the seeds
  4. Plant 2-3 seeds in each container to make sure at least one of them is successful


 Alright, I think I'm ready, wish me luck!



Are you planting anything this Spring? Flowers are first for me, the veggie garden is coming later in the month (our first one! hooray!!)




Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Love the info. Marigolds are so happy. I'll be watching for the next update on them.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, they make me happy. I always reply to your awesomeness in the comment section, so check back!