Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Cooking mistakes

Alright people, I'm about to fess up.

One time I made a lemon meringue pie and couldn't figure out how to make meringue so I put whip cream on top.
source

One time I made a Boston Cream Pie but used regular white flour instead of cake flour. I entered said pie in a bake contest. It didn't really look right to me, and I didn't taste it before I entered it. Long story short (who am I kidding? This isn't a long story at all!), the pie lost. It was hard as a rock. What can I say? I was 10.

I always wanted to be a good cook when
I was younger. I even hosted "restaurant nights" at home where I would set up the living room nice, heat up some left overs, take orders from my family (the only thing on the menu was left overs....) and serve them. I thought it was awesome. I never really succeeded at cooking anything well until I got married and had no choice but to learn how to cook or continue on buying things from the freezer section. So, learn to cook I did.

I'm still not a fantastic baker. But I can cook chicken without drying it out, I can make pork nice and tender, I can make a curry dish like you wouldn't believe and I've learned how to make a mean meatloaf. Cooking isn't something I enjoy as much as I wish I did, but I've been told as soon as it's not something that has to hurry-up-and-get-done-before-there-is-a-melt-down-by-the-mouths-waiting-to-be-fed, I should enjoy it more.
source

So, I'm looking forward to that. The time when I HAVE the time to enjoy putting together a meal. A meal that I can spend more than 20 minutes preparing.

How about you? Any fun cooking stories? Any awesome websites you want to share so I can find some new recipes?

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, the boston cream pie story--I still laugh about that one!  You're a great cook Em and make yummy meals!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, they make me happy. I always reply to your awesomeness in the comment section, so check back!