Thursday, September 6, 2012

Let's be fools together

I'm reading this amazing book along with my bestest of best friends {who happens to live in Washington for the moment} it's called "Life is a Verb" by Patti Digh. I HIGHLY recommend it.

HIGHLY.

I've been inspired over and over again as I read it, and I'm only on page 37! It's one of those books you want to read slow and write in and underline and highlight and carry a notebook with you so you can write down your thoughts. It's THAT good. {No, I'm not being paid to say any of this, my blog is pretty darn awesome but it's not THAT awesome} My bff {shout out to Beaner!} and I are actually keeping our own blog about it, so we can write our thoughts down and share them with each other...you know book club style.

A few of the highlights so far I'd love to share with you:

*To fully live, we must be present in the biggest way possible. This isn't about other people, it's not about changing the world in big ways, it's not even about doing huge things. It's about doing small things that "give you life, bring you joy, help you inhabit the stories of your days-and, by extension, help change the world and the lives of others around you"

*Change doesn't come to us when we sit and wait for it. Great change doesn't come with official endorsement. It's pointed out that people like Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Picasso and SO MANY OTHERS didn't wait for permission and their actions brought about a lot of change, for  so.many.people. "Change occurs at the edges, without permission." We can't wait for the conditions to change before we MAKE a change, we'd be waiting far too long.

And lastly, before I bore you with my intense deep thoughts, a Japanese Proverb:

We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.

Thanks for stopping by! 

1 comment:

I love your comments, they make me happy. I always reply to your awesomeness in the comment section, so check back!