Thursday, February 24, 2011

Project Home Sweet Home=Inspiring

So.......Normally Thursday is the day of the week I vow to not spend any money, but today I totally broke that vow. We are due for a big storm this weekend (and in central California, a "big storm" really means we may get an inch or two of snow and everyone will freak out and no one will drive anywhere and some store won't open and some people will lose their power) so I went to the store to buy a couple of things "just in case."

So, I'm switching it up a little bit. I read this quote this morning:
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?"            - George Eliot
 I really loved that. Really really.

Then I remembered a story I read in a magazine last month about 2 women: Ricki Syufy and Paula Beritzhoff, who founded Project Home Sweet Home in 2006. Project Home Sweet Home is a nonprofit that provides formerly homeless families with basic furniture, including beds, kitchen tables, chairs and lamps. They find the families through referrals from local agencies. Why did they do this?
Ricki Syufy & Paula Beritzhoff
"We wanted to do this for the kids because if your home is comfortable, there's a greater chance you'll have more confidence to succeed in school and beyond"

Two days a week, these mothers (with 5 boys between them) visit the homes of the families they will be helping to find out what they are most in need of and then they do the deliveries themselves, with help from their sons (when they're not in school of course).They say that it is "so fulfilling because {they} know {they} are making a difference."

How awesome is that?


When I read this story, I thought, "I want to do this too!!!"

What a blessing it would be all around to donate and move furniture for needy families. Having a home that is comfortable and furnished can make such a huge difference, and I know from experience!

I hope we can all find some way to make life less difficult for others, since after all, what is the purpose of life if we spend it selfishly?

Thanks for reading!!
(read the article here)

1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea! And your blog is beautiful. I love your header. Visiting from MMB.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, they make me happy. I always reply to your awesomeness in the comment section, so check back!