Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Small and silly things {why are they so powerful?}

Sometimes the smallest and silliest things can make my whole day either amazingly wonderful or completely miserable. The most common small and silly thing that does this to me?

The scale.

Yes, THAT scale. The one that is sitting in my bathroom. The one that I occasionally sit a 5 lb. weight on top of to make sure it's accurate. The one that is dusty because I refuse to clean it. The one that comes out of its hiding place too often for me to count. Yes people, that scale.

Today, that scale said I gained weight. Yesterday it said I was losing weight. Yes, I am one of those people that weigh myself everyday........and I average it at the end of the week to get a better picture of what all those fluctuations really mean. Usually, at the end of every week, I'm moving in the right direction, which would be down just in case you weren't sure. This wasn't the case last week. I went up, 1 whole pound. This has been following me around like a plague for the last few days.

The other side of this story is if the numbers were going down on the scale and I was losing steadily, then I would be elated. So extremely happy and proud of myself I would be telling anyone and everyone who would listen (and even if they weren't listening, I'd tell them). This brings to mind a quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson:
When some external event raises your spirits 
and you think good days are preparing for you,
do not believe it. 
It can never be so. 
Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.
I'm 29 people. This isn't the first time I've read this quote or heard something about not relying on others or things for your happiness. But today, when I read this quote, it was different. You know how you can hear something 15 times but it's the 16th time you actually "hear" it, yeah. That.


I really think it's human for us to let outside circumstances dictate our moods. I mean, my 1 year old took his first steps almost 2 weeks ago and it made my whole day (the next day I weighed myself and forgot all about the happy excitement of the day before). My 2 year old told me I was the best mommy ever and I was on cloud 9 (the next day we needed new tires on the car and couldn't really afford them and I felt like a dark cloud followed me the whole day). I think you get my point. I'm human, you're human, we're all human.

But maybe we could try and remember that peace and happiness comes from within.....maybe, just maybe we could do that?

Is there anything in your life, good or bad, that controls your mood?
I'm all ears =)

(Linking up for Wordful Wednesday with Dumb Mom at Parenting by Dummies)


6 comments:

  1. Like it. Don't even worry about the 1 pound, I'm sure it's just water weight. And even if it's not...that's 1 more pound of Emily awesomeness. Sweet! haha Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean. It doesn't take much to derail my happiness. I'm cynical person that leans towards the glass is half empty outlook anyway. I don't want to be like this, but I walk around always expecting the worst. It kind of sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a good way of looking at it I guess Kates =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, what Katums said, Emily Awesomeness! Positive attitudes are so important(I know, you've heard me say that a gazillion times, but it's true!) Love you Em tons and tons!! Your Positive/Optimistic Mama :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. pitterpatterchildrenApril 27, 2011 at 10:17 PM

    I am a total believer in positive attitudes. I believe that we can change to world around us by simple changing our own attitudes. Great post today!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, they make me happy. I always reply to your awesomeness in the comment section, so check back!