Friday, May 6, 2011

War Dogs

I love dogs.
Seriously, I love them.
(You can meet my dog, Sam the Corgi, here)

Today on my MSN homepage, there was a story about War Dogs and a really interesting picture of a dog and his (Army)Owner jumping out of a helicopter. I had to read the article, mainly for the pictures (FYI, I only like cookbooks with pictures, I know you wanted to know that). I was half expecting to read about horrible accidents and inhumane treatment of these brave dogs and I was pleasantly surprised.The article spoke about the strong bond between dog and owner, the safety precautions that are taken with the dogs and how they are treated like members of the organization they serve and not just equipment that can be left behind.

source
I'm the type of person who feels more sorry for the animals that die or get hurt in movies than the people (I know, it's horrible......but I'm trying to be honest here!) so my first thoughts about these awesome dogs are: is this really a safe and humane thing to be doing? Should we really be sending dogs out to war? But the reality is this: we send men and women out to war, it's not safe or even really humane for them either, but they go. And really, when I think about it a bit more, I bet these dogs are having a blast. They have a job to do, and in my experience, a dog with a job is a happy dog.

Anyways, I just wanted to share the pictures and article with you in case you haven't seen it, you can read it here.

What do you think about dogs in war?
You know me, I love to hear your thoughts =)

2 comments:

  1. i totally understand what you mean feeling sorry for the animals in the movies i always feel bad for the horses in war movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pitterpatterchildrenMay 7, 2011 at 11:15 PM

    I think that anything we can do to help save lives is an amazing improvement.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, they make me happy. I always reply to your awesomeness in the comment section, so check back!