Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Memorable Neighbor...

”Mama’s


It's Wednesday, which means I am getting much needed inspiration from Mama Kat.

When I think of memorable neighbors, two types pop into my head: the crazy-not-so-good kind and the really kind and thoughtful kind that you miss when you move. What kind am I thinking of this morning as I write this?

The 70-year-old man who insisted our front lawn be perfect. He was so insistent in fact, he would mow it for us because we just couldn't seem to get it to his standards. See, we moved into the house in question 2 months before I gave birth to our first son and hubbyman was working weird hours, so when the old man first mowed our lawn for us, it was a very nice treat! I definitely wasn't going to be mowing the lawn in my huge condition (yes, I was huge. HUGE I tell you) and the hubbymonster was so busy, so it was a blessing for sure. But as the months went on and we would come home to our sprinklers on or a certain old man on my front porch watering my plants.....it got a little out of control. Turns out, he wasn't doing it so much out of kindness, he was doing it because he didn't like the way WE did it. Weird right? I remember many a day, dozing on the couch with my newborn, hearing a lawnmower start up in the front yard. You're probably thinking, "Wow, that is extremely kind of that old man! How can you complain about that?!" but wait, it gets better!
One Saturday when hubbyman was mowing our lawn in all his sweaty glory, the old man walked across the street and told him that he was cutting the grass too short and that he was going to ruin the lawn and that he really needed to learn how to mow lawns yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah. Can you tell this STILL bothers me? (It's been almost 3 years since we moved from that house.....)

So, needless to say, he was memorable. We look back and laugh at it now, but at the time, I was hormonal (come on! I just had a baby!) and tired (come on! I just had a baby) and an old man who had issues with the care of our front lawn just wasn't working for me.

Thanks for reading! Have a great day!! (I totally love your comments!)

4 comments:

  1. Yep, I remember the crazy across the street from you. I'm sure he's doing the same to whoever lives there now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. atleast he didn't try to make you pay him!(or am i wrong?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband would not like someone else doing our yard work because he loves doing it. I think I would have been happy though if some old guy wanted to take care of my lawn for me. The old guy probably was just bored and liked to be useful.

    Stopping by from Writer's Workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. atleast he didn't try to make you pay him!(or am i wrong?)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, they make me happy. I always reply to your awesomeness in the comment section, so check back!